Wednesday, March 24, 2010

From Davao with Love

As our academic year come to a close, our Indonesian deacon Rev. Efrem shares with us his experience here.
Br. Efrem will be leaving back to Indonesia tomorrow, and will be ordained on 3rd May. We wish him all the best. However, he will be coming back to our community as a priest and as a student next school year. We really look forward to this interesting dynamics.


-----
In a loving family, a child becomes sensitized to love, and learns to respond with love. The experience of loving appreciation in the home or in the community gives us some measure of self esteem, love, and friendship. This is what I have experienced here in the Davao Community, particularly as a student of SAT-MI.

Although it has been only a year of stay here in the Davao Community (a very unique community where I have ever stayed in), I found love and friendship in diversity.

I still remember at first I encountered many difficulties in adjusting with the life here due to rhythm of life, study and even lack of English skill in conversation. In my part, I was struggling and even asking myself: “why do I have to come here?”, “Why do I have to face the other difficulties in my life?” Then I noticed, there were so many “why” which needed immediate responses and answers. Really, life was difficult, yet it was meaningful when I realized the meaning of suffering as the other side of the coin of life. As I went along, I began to realize that I do not walk alone. I had my friends that really helped and walked together with me. I was also motivated and encouraged by my fellow brothers and the community. I realized, it was not as difficult and impossible to do, that’s why I could say it was really challenging experience.

I am pretty sure that the new students, (particularly foreigners) coming to Davao community will have the same feeling as I did. It might sound insignificant to some, but I can’t hide my feelings to say that I am happy with this community, It is unique in its own, and has a very big sense of family where everyone has motivated and encouraged me and even gave me the experienced of being at home. For me, SAT-MI is not merely a community and formation place, it is where we are fully known, loved and received just as we are, you and I.

It is true that the experience of being known and loved in a special way in human friendship frees me from disbelief and opens me to believe that God could love me in a special way. Jesus makes it clear that we can be His friend only by loving one another. “I have called you friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you” (Jn15:12-15).

Rev. Efrem Bolly CSsR

1 comment:

  1. Good and inspiring reflection, Efrem. Thank youf for sharing it. Congrates for your ordination in advance. God bless and see you! Ole

    ReplyDelete