Wednesday, September 29, 2010

“when heroes come to dine and cartoon characters come to life…”



Last Sunday, September 26, 2010, as I entered the community refectory I was surprised to see Superman, Wolverine, Green Lantern and the Men in Black. I thought I was dreaming because I too saw Aladdin, Ryu and the Prince of Egypt. Later, I found myself enjoying a sumptuous dinner with the boy named Russell (of UP) with his colorful balloons. I remember he was proudly showing me his ID picture. As I was refilling my plate at the buffet table, Edward greeted me with his skin glittering like diamonds but I was wondering where Bella was at that time. During that night, I also rubbed elbows with Indiana Jones, a pirate and a gangster from New York. I met a lot of hero-looking pals. Some of them looked familiar but I had forgotten where I met them in this world. And oh, I also met a Greek god with some white puffy hair style. Why were all these heroes here to dine with us? Why had these cartoon characters come to life? What’s the occasion that they all came to celebrate?


I was not dreaming. This was not fiction or any embellished story. These characters really came to life last Sunday during the monthly community celebration for the month of September. Much was the effort given by most individuals in putting on their fictional character costumes that they really looked almost like the characters I only see on TV. The BEC of the month: St. Gerard hosted the said costume party to honor the birthday celebrants of the month. Neil was lucky enough to have a costume party on the day of his birthday. But it was not just for him. As it was also a celebration for Allan (Ryu), Gilbert (the Greek god), Lhionnel (Russell), Dominic and Morris (Superman). That day was also the feast of our dear Blessed Gaspar Stanggasinger.


We spend the night with some games and ice cream for everyone! We were lucky to have with us Sr. Evelyn Flanagan, PBVM. She is here with us for three weeks to help us improve our English. She was also one of the judges during that night together with Fr. Caloy and Fr. Allen who proclaimed the winner for the Best in Costume. They proclaimed Superman, the Greek God and Russell for the third, second and first prize respectively.

On behalf of everyone who enjoyed the celebration, we would like to thank the BEC of the month for the efforts they have exerted to make our community celebration colorful, lively and enjoyable.

merci beau coup!


-007


No comments:

Post a Comment